Regis St. Mary Catholic School Board of Directors
The responsibilities of the Board of Directors include direction and oversight of Regis St. Mary Catholic School in the areas of: strategic planning; advancement of the School in the community; financial operations of the School, including approval of the budget; enhancing the School’s financial resources, including advancement and development activities; ensuring the Catholicity of the School is consistent with the Articles and Bylaws of the Corporation; and enabling the performance evaluation of the Chief Administrator (Principal) in accordance with Archdiocesan policy.
The ordinary day-to-day management of the School shall be delegated to and shall be the responsibility of the Principal, who shall carry out, in the administration of the School, all policies established by the Member or the Board of Directors.
Nomination forms for becoming a director can be found here or at the link to the right.
Regis St. Mary Catholic School is a nonprofit, private corporation established by the Archdiocese of Portland. The Archbishop is the sole “member” of the corporation. The BOD serves as an agent of the Archbishop to provide, within the prescribed limitations, governance for the school. The principal serves as an agent of the Board to execute the BOD policies.
- Enable mission effectiveness & purpose
- Ensuring the Catholicity of the school
- Provide for the future: stability, continuity, growth, & resources
- Ensure effective planning
- Provide overall direction
- Ensure adequate resources & monitor their effective use
- Select and support the principal according to Archdiocesan policy
- Enhance public image and advance the school in the community
- Enable periodic performance reviews of the principal according to Archdiocesan policy
- Monitor programs and services
- Perpetuate itself through an effective director selection process
See the committee BOD Committees section below for more details on how the BOD fulfills its responsibilities.
BOD MAKEUP AND MEMBERS
The RSMCS BOD consists of twelve to fifteen directors appointed by the Archbishop.
- There are three Ex Officio directors – the Superintendent of Catholic Schools, the Archdiocesan Chief Financial Officer and the principal. Ex Officio members are voting members.
- Up to two of the board positions may be filled by non-Catholics, provided they participate in a faith community, support the values of a Catholic school and have the best interests of RSMCS at heart.
- The BOD identifies people to fill board vacancies by forming a selection committee that nominates individuals to the BOD to recommend to the Archbishop for appointment.
The BOD requires a broad range of talent, experience and knowledge to fulfill its mission. Board members serve the school, not a constituency. The board seeks the following qualities in its prospective members:
- A genuine interest in the mission of Catholic school education
- A commitment to the mission of the schools
- A willingness to work with others in achieving consensus decisions
- A willingness to make the time commitment
- A willingness to maintain confidentiality
- Credible witness to the Catholic faith [in the case of non-Catholics, to its values]
- Courage to face unpleasant tasks and decisions
- A willingness to support board decisions, even if not fully agreed with
In order for the RSMCS BOD to fulfill its responsibilities in the most efficient and effective manner possible, it has established several committees to ensure appropriate focus on several areas critical to the school. Committees meet and conduct their work apart from the board meetings. Committee decisions and actions are reported to the BOD during its quarterly meetings for information and approval.
Each committee will have at least two BOD members, one to serve as committee chair, and may invite other interested individuals to participate as committee members. If you are interested in joining one of our committees, please contact the committee chair or the BOD at BOD@regisstmary.org.
- Members: BOD Chair, Vice-chair and Secretary
- Mission: Provide leadership and administrative guidance for the BOD. Speak for the BOD.
Finance, Building and Grounds Committee:
- Chair: Tyler Lulay
- Members: Karen Hendricks, Julie Lulay, Sara Adams, Travis Woods, Matthew Schott, Candi Hedrick
- Primary areas of interest: The committee reviews monthly income statements, monitors cash flow, plans for capital expenditures and assists in budgeting. Develops and reviews the long-range facility improvement plan.
- Needs: The committee needs members with experience in reading and analyzing financial statements and budgets of companies or organizations. Expertise in the area of accounting is especially helpful on the committee. Expertise in the areas of construction and general contracting would be very helpful in developing the facility improvement plan.
Mission and Accreditation Committee:
- Chair: Tony Schacher
- Members: BC Nelson, Fr. Luan Nguyen, Aaron Persons, Adam Mumey, Candi Hedrick
- Primary areas of interest: The committee reviews and monitors the Strategic Plan, helps to build and foster the school’s Catholic identity, monitors the rigor of the school academics and reviews the accreditation process.
- Needs: The committee needs members with a desire to monitor progress related to the RSM strategic plan and the strategic plan of the Department of Catholic Schools. Expertise in the area of curriculum development would help to monitor the development of the curriculum guide, and drive academic rigor for all grades.
Marketing and Development Committee:
- Chair: Randy Bentz
- Members: Amy Vetter, Sue Harteloo, Missi Vaughn, Katie Koenig, Candi Hedrick
- Primary areas of interest: The committee reviews advancement plans, assists in recruitment and retention, helps develop new sources of income.
- Needs: The committee needs members who are innovators, open minded and creative in looking for new ways to increase enrollment and funds for the future of the school. Background in marketing can be helpful to this committee.